Tip of the Week
Create a checklist to get unstuck
To foster more independence around homework, create a “getting unstuck checklist” with your child. Many students give up easily or completely shut down when they get stuck on something challenging. A checklist provides your child with a concrete tool that he can refer to as a resource rather than throwing in the towel. The list should include specific actions your child can take to help him move forward, like:
- Check class notes, handouts, old homework, textbook for more information
- Check teacher website for additional or explanatory resources
- Search for online resources like instructional videos
- Take a mental break and come back to this particular work later with a fresh mind
- Can I identify specific questions that I can email to my teacher or ask in class tomorrow?