Provide explicit direction for multi-step tasks
Many students who struggle with executive function require explicit direction to complete a multi-step task efficiently and effectively. For example, rather than saying “Don’t forget to organize your binder tonight” which is broad and unfocused, try making a list with your child with step-by-step directions:
Organizing My Binder
- 3-hole punch all loose papers.
- Organize papers by subject and/or topic.
- Recycle old papers not needed anymore.
- Refile remaining papers in the appropriate folder.
- Place tomorrow’s homework in the front pouch to make it accessible.