Plan Your Family’s Next Dream Vacation
A tropical island, Disney Parks, a week-long cruise, or exploring a new country: what is your family’s dream vacation? This elective will engage your imagination, creativity, and math skills to plan everything from transportation, daily itineraries, and packing lists to writing a letter to your parents, convincing them this is the perfect trip. Through practicing foundational math skills, following the writing process, and creating schedules and checklists, students will end this course with a presentation and persuasive letter about your next possible family vacation!
Executive Function Skills
- Planning and time management
- Task initiation
- Organization of ideas
- Self-monitoring and follow-through
- Working memory
MA Practice Standards and Frameworks
- Persuasive Writing
- Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons and information.
- Introduce a topic or text clearly, state an opinion, and create an organizational structure
Standards for Mathematical Practice
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
- Multiplication and division of whole numbers (later elementary grades)
- Word Problems