Motivation & Self-Confidence
Tools for learning. Skills for life.
Intrinsically motivated students achieve their greatest potential.
At Engaging Minds, we believe that a student’s motivation and confidence in their abilities are some of the most important factors in their long-term academic success. Intrinsically motivated learners become life-long learners. Students who struggle with executive function can have great difficulty with academic assignments and often experience negative impacts on their grades over time. Academic failures can damage a student’s motivation to keep trying and their confidence that they can be successful in school.
We know these students can be successful in school. They simply need the right tools and guidance to address the areas that they find difficult. Research and many years of experience tell us that students are intrinsically motivated when they:
- Attribute their educational results to internal factors they can control (e.g., the amount of effort they put in)
- Feel competent
- Believe that intelligence isn’t a fixed quantity, but instead is something that can be developed and improved
- Have some choice and control over their learning
- Perceive the relevance of the subject matter they’re studying
- Are interested in mastering a topic, rather than just achieving good grades
- See a path forward with or without support
- Feel supported and respected by parents, teachers, coaches, and other significant people in their lives
Studies have shown that intrinsic motivation has the strongest long-term outcomes and is most generalized across disciplines and circumstances. A clear understanding of both the purpose of their schoolwork (the “why” behind it) and the tools they can use to master it helps to build intrinsic motivation in students to work hard.
Our instructors are trained to help students find success early and often and work with students to help them engage with their work in a meaningful way. Each session incorporates the principles of intrinsic motivation as part of the learning process. Our instructors understand that forging a strong and trusting relationships with each student is a critical component in helping that student achieve his or her greatest potential.