Do you love getting lost in magical realms and thinking about the possibilities of worlds that are different than our own? Ever wish you had magical powers in this life? This elective will provide you with the opportunity to create and write your own fantasy adventure! We will read selections from various fantasy texts, identify the elements that qualify these stories as fantasy, and then create our own fantasy. Through practicing reading strategies, learning the elements of fiction and fantasy, and engaging in the writing process, students will end the elective with their own original fantasy in the form of an online storyboard.
Executive Function Skills
- Planning and time management
- Task initiation
- Organization of ideas
- Self-monitoring and follow-through
- Working memory
- Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text; summarize a text.
- Describe in depth a character, setting, or event in a story or drama.
- Compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, or events in a story or drama.
- Write narratives to orient the reader by establishing a situation and introducing a speaker, narrator, and/or characters.
- Use a variety of transitional words and phrases to manage sequence.
- Use concrete words and phrases, figurative language such as similes and metaphors, and sensory details to convey experiences or events precisely.
- Provide a sense of closure appropriate to the narrated experiences or events.